10+ Online Reputation Management Tasks CAMP PROS Must Add To Their Calendars NOW
When it comes to your summer camp's online reputation surprises are NOT fun
Although it is yet ANOTHER thing you need to add to your calendar, this is an important part of running a business in the modern world. In fact, in a business where we ask parents to trust us to look after their children, trust is essential. Online reviews and your reputation need to be actively managed.
You know how Google Suggest works? You start to type words into Google and it offers suggestions of the most common searches for that word.
It might look like:
<search>: william ...and Google will offer you:
- william shatner
- william shakespeare
- william hurt
- william baldwin
Well, on about 50% of the searches I conduct using the camp name the top suggestion is "camp name reviews".
Actively Managing Your Online Reputation
What do you do once you've found your online reviews (good or bad or both)? Actively manage those reviews. Put out calls to action to your community (with a link to one of the review sites at a time and some suggestions of the best techniques for leaving effective and honest reviews).
Here's the To Do list that I recommend all camps follow:
Check these sites WEEKLY:
- 1. Open open Yik Yak app and see what has been written close to your site (May 2017 note: Yik Yak has announced that they are shuttering soon so this will drop off the priority list shortly)
- 2. Yelp
- 3. Campratingz
- 4. Facebook reviews
- 5. Google Reviews
MONTHLY Ask for honest reviews on:
- 6. Google Maps / Google business listing (how-to down below!)
- 7. Yelp.com or Yelp.ca (or your local Yelp)
- 8. Foursquare.com <yes, that's still a thing>
- 9. Your Facebook Page - Not all camp Facebook Pages are setup to accept reviews. Make sure you give them the direct link to the reviews page. Like this: https://www.facebook.com/pg/CampHacker/reviews/
- 10. Trip Advisor (if there is a listing there for your camp)
- 11. Angies List (US only)
Camp Specific Review Sites:
Instructions to send to your camp community to show how to write reviews for your Google Business (*fair warning: These services change CONSTANTLY. You're best to check our methods and adapt them for the current setup instead of just copy/paste):
- Write a review
- Go to google.com/local and sign in with your Google account.
- Search for the name of our camp, then click on the name of the business to open up our listing.
- Click the "Write a Review" button next below the cover photo. If there are already reviews, click the "# reviews" - at the top of that new box there will be a "Write a Review" button
- Rate our camp using the 1 to 5 star scale, and write any information that you think will be helpful to another family looking for the perfect camp for their child in the text box.
- When you’re done, click Post. Any reviews that you write will be public and attributed to your Google+ name.